Friday 4 March 2016

Prepositions of time - in, on or at?
















We can use 'on', 'in' or 'at to talk about when things will happen.

When you are talking about a long period of time, you use ‘in’.
This includes, years, months, decades or seasons.

‘I am going to England in March.’
‘I will visit you in summer.’
‘My mother lived in Germany in the 80s.’
‘I was born in 1984.’


We can also use ‘in’ to talk about events in the future. ...

‘I will be there in five minutes.’
‘I will have dinner in an hour.’


We use ‘on’ with specific dates and days of the week.
‘I am going to visit London on January 26.’
‘I will visit you on Thursday.’
‘I was born on September 5, 1986.’


We use ‘at’ with specific times.
‘I will visit you at three o’clock.’
‘I have an appointment at 6.30pm.’


And we use ‘at’ with general times of day, like ‘night’, ‘noon’, ‘dinner time’, ‘breakfast time’, ‘sunrise’ or ‘sunset’.
‘Let’s meet at noon.’
‘I will arrive at dinner time.’
'I usually go to bed at midnight.’

No comments:

Post a Comment